The project ‘PILOTENKUECHE’ supports artists and is an international artist-run art program based in europe’s boomtown Leipzig, Germany. The program invites selected artists from around the world to come and work in the 465m² communally used, fully remodeled space for an period of three months, with 24 hour studio access. During the programmed events the studio becomes our exhibition space. Our concept strives to create a communal space for experimental collaboration and discourse between participants, as well as with the greater Leipzig community.
Each accepted artist is offered a partial stipend, provided by ‘PILOTENKUECHE’. We also maintain engagements with several partners, and by introducing our artists to these, make it possible for participants to cooperate with and exhibit in other venues. In addition, the artists receive all documentation necessary to apply for funding and the visa processes. If required, the project assists with additional individual reference letters.
The program is always looking for artists. We accept applications at any time. Specific arrangements will be made on a case-by-case basis.
WHAT WE PROVIDE
Our art program fuses the use of studio space with accompanying external activities. With this framework in mind, we intend for the two areas to become indivisible. These components are meant to reinforce one another, and to elicit an engaged response in a stimulating environment.
- one furnished 36m² large space (chair, table, provided tools) per artist in our 465m² large communal loft hall including wifi and all utilities (water, heating, energy, kitchen, toilet etc.) + usage of the workshop equipment
- approximately eleven artists per month working in the space
- furnished shared used tea kitchen
- costs / participation fee: 400,00 EUR* / month, per artist with an additional
- deposit: 400 EUR per artist to hold the place in the program, not refundable by short cancellation
- the fee covers the studio & the participation costs
- travel costs, art materials & living accommodation are additional
- we offer one shared, joint-studio option for art duets. Two artists may share a single studio space, as outlined above.
- costs / participation fee: 600,00 EUR** / month, per art duet with an additional
- deposit: 600,00 EUR per artist to hold the place in the program, not refundable by short cancellation
The artist must take responsibility to pay individually for the costs of the studio prices and insurance, transport and travel expenses. Each accepted artist is offered a partial stipend, provided by ‘PILOTENKUECHE’, with directly subsidizes the full program fee. Normally the artist will look for an additional grant in his/her country to finance all the costs. If you’re looking for funding, here you can find a selection of funding programs.
*The fee includes the partial-stipend of 300,00 EUR from ‘PILOTENKUECHE’, with directly subsidizes the full program fee of 700,00 EUR.
**The fee includes the partial-stipend of 600,00 EUR from ‘PILOTENKUECHE,’ with directly subsidizes the full program fee of 1400,00 EUR – as well as an additional 200,00 EUR deduction.
- 36m² big working places equipped with a nice table, chair, lamp and working desks
- moveable walls to change the space and to create up to around 150m² big spaces
- newly designed windows made by Raumbetrieb
- fast internet connection & wifi
- ground heating
- new, oil-covered concrete ground
- shower in a closed area
- provided tools: remote drill, hammer drill, levels, hammers, screwdriver, analoque projector, diverse easels, electric saws, welding machine, grinder etc.
- studio & gallery visits and museum tours
- selected artists participate in our events & exhibitions:
- artist talks event: each artist of the project talks about his/her position
- preview exhibtion / extended open studio: the artists present their first works in a small group show / open studio
- final exhibition: final group show
- disciplines: activism, architecture, conceptual, design, digital, drawing, film, installation, intervention, mixed media, technology, intermedia, literature, painting, performance, photography, printmaking, sculpture, sound, video or other disciplines of arts
- language: English / German
- living accommodation / rooms are additional
- we offer one place in a 60m² large shared appartment for two artists close to the studio at Demmeringstr. 68, 04177 Leipzig, ground floor
- 1x fitted kitchen, 1x bathroom
- 2x furnished rooms with a bed, shelve, desk & chair each room; communal used kitchen & bathroom with basic inventory
- with wifi
- costs: 350,00 EUR / month, per artist with an additional
- deposit: 350,00 EUR per artist to hold the place in the program, not refundable by short cancellation
Other residents find rooms by themselves. The following links will help to find a similar room to live in Leipzig:
- das schwarze brett
- air bnb
- people who need rooms and people who have rooms (facebook group)
Exhibitions (New Space from 2017)
Exhibitions (Partner spaces)
Exhibitions (Old Space until 2016)
Visits & Activities
Who can apply?
Artists from all artistic disciplines (installation, videoart, sculpture, electronic music, painting, drawing, performance, photography, net art etc.) is invited to send us a proposal. You can apply any time. The application should include:
- a short CV
- an artist statement
- representative number of examples of your work and (if existing) a link to your website
- a short CV
We offer four periods a year:
- January – March
- April – June
- July – September
- October – December
- January – March
You can apply any time. Send us a mail to firstname.lastname@example.org with use of our Application Form.
Please read our “application guide” to read more details and get an overview of the provided information.
www.transartist.org and their information about residencies and funding
www.resartis.org and their information about residencies and funding
www.artistcommunities.org and their information about funding