The project “PILOTENKUECHE” invites within the “Local Participants Program” handpicked local artists from around Leipzig to participate with the international artists for a period of three months on our art program. This program aims to support the local art scene and to connect it to international artists. Our concept strives to create a communal space for experimental collaboration and discourse between participants, as well as with the greater Leipzig community.
Each accepted artist is offered a full stipend, provided by “PILOTENKUECHE” and financed by a private donor. We also maintain engagements with several partners, and by introducing our artists to these, make it possible for all participants to cooperate with and exhibit in other venues.
During the programmed events the studio becomes our exhibition space. Our art program is a multifaceted. In participating in our residency, each artist participates in external studio visits and gallery tours. The artist also has the chance to take part in an artist talk, which further clarifies their position, a preview exhibition or open studio event presenting initial work, which takes mid-way through the residency, as well as scheduled consultations and critiques, culminating in a final group exhibition. The primary languages in use are English and German.
The program is always looking for artists. We accept applications at any time.
WHAT WE PROVIDE
During the 3 months, Local Participants are free to join our weekly program, request a consultation, and join the project exhibitions. Since Local participants have their own studios, we do not provide a working place at “PILOTENKUECHE”. With this framework in mind, we intend to elicit an engaged response in a stimulating environment between locals and international participants.
- approximately 2 Local Participants participate in the program together with approximately 11 International Residents
- studio space is not provided to Local Participants
- costs / participation fee: 0,00 EUR* / month, per artist
- the fee covers the participation costs
- studio costs, art materials & living accommodation are additional
*The fee includes the full stipend of 300,00 EUR from ‘PILOTENKUECHE,’ with directly subsidizes the full program fee of 300,00 EUR. A further support is not provided.
- studio & gallery visits and museum tours
- selected artists participate in our events & exhibitions:
- artist talks event: each artist of the project talks about his/her position
- preview exhibtion / extended open studio: the artists present their first works in a small group show / open studio
- final exhibition: final group show
- disciplines: activism, architecture, conceptual, design, digital, drawing, film, installation, intervention, mixed media, technology, intermedia, literature, painting, performance, photography, printmaking, sculpture, sound, video or other disciplines of arts
- Language: English / German
- individual consultations by agreement with curatorial advice and critique
- assistance with professional processes, funding / scholarship applications, artistic / theoretical / logistical questions, practical questions considering daily life by agreement
- curation, event & exhibition organisation for the final exhibition
- web-, graphic-, & advertising / press design, its production & release for the project (roundmails to up to 1000 subscribers, posts to up to 3000 facebook followers)
- documentation of the project
- general administration, organization & coordination of the project
some of these services are done in home office if the team is not present in the studio
A large artist supply shop called ‘boesner’ is based on the Spinnerei complex 3km far away from the space where you can find everthing for your work. You also can find a construction market called ‘toom’. For special requests we can assist with our local experience & knowledge.
Living accomodation is additional. The project offers one shared apartment which hosts two artists:
- we offer one place in a 60m² large shared apartment for two artists close to the studio at Demmeringstr. 68, 04177 Leipzig, ground floor
- 1x fitted kitchen, 1x bathroom
- 2x furnished rooms with a bed, shelve, desk & chair each room; communal used kitchen & bathroom with basic inventory
- with wifi
- costs: 350,00 EUR per month, per artist with an additional deposit: 350,00 EUR per artist to hold the place in the program, not refundable by short cancellation (3 months before the residency starts)
Other participants are based in Leipzig or find rooms by themselves. The following links will help to find a similar room to live in Leipzig:
- das schwarze brett
- air bnb
- people who need rooms and people who have rooms (facebook group)
EXPECTATIONS TO THE ARTIST
Participating artists are expected to participate with the overall program objectives, to contribute to a collective enterprise, and be open to work with others. In exchange for the stipend, artists are expected to leave a donation of one or two art works.
Who can apply?
Artists from all artistic disciplines (installation, videoart, sculpture, electronic music, painting, drawing, performance, photography, net art etc.) are invited to send us a proposal. The artist need to be based in or around Leipzig since at least 3 years to be eligible to apply.
How to apply?
Please send us an E-mail. The application should include:
- a short CV
- an artist statement
- representative number of examples of your work and (if existing) a link to your website
- Application Form
We offer the following residency periods per year:
- January – March
- April – June
- July – September
- October – December
- Round April – June 2019: 30.06.18
- Round July – Sept.: 2019: 30.09.18
- Round Oct. – Dec. 2019: 30.12.18
- Round Jan. – March 2020: 30.03.19
You can apply any time. Send us a mail to email@example.com by submitting all required information.
Please read our “Application Guide” to read more details and get an overview of the provided information.
www.transartist.org and their information about residencies and funding
www.resartis.org and their information about residencies and funding
www.artistcommunities.org and their information about funding
mobility funding guides