Artists from around the world have 24 hour studio access in the 465m² communally used space. The studio is located in an old barbed wire factory in the city’s new underground artistic quarter: Leutzsch. While PILOTENKUECHE has been ready for artist use (including underfloor heating) for more than a year, the building itself is still undergoing renovation. With its exposed brick. large windows and high ceiling, this industrial environment allows for creative output that might not be realized elsewhere. Our concept strives to create a communal space that can lead to experimental collaboration and discourse between participants, as well as with the greater Leipzig community.
Each accepted artist is offered a partial stipend in kind, provided by PILOTENKUECHE. We also maintain engagements with several partners, and by introducing our artists to these, offer the potential for participants to cooperate with and exhibit in other venues. In addition, the artists receive all documentation necessary to apply for funding and the visa processes. If required, the project assists with additional individual reference letters.
Our program is multi-faceted. It includes visiting artist studios, exhibition spaces, project spaces, exhibits, and going on gallery and museum tours. The artist also has the chance to take part in an artist talk, which further clarifies their position. A preview exhibition or open studio event presenting initial work, takes place mid-way through the residency, as well as, scheduled consultations and critiques, culminating in a final group exhibition. During the final exhibition, the studio becomes our exhibition space.
The primary languages in use are English and German.
The program is regularly looking for artists. We accept applications at any time.
WHAT WE PROVIDE
Our International Residence Program fuses the use of studio space with programmed internal and external activities, and exhibitions. With this framework in mind, we intend for the two areas to become indivisible. These components are meant to reinforce one another, and to elicit an engaged response in a stimulating environment.
- one furnished studio of up to 36m² per artist in our 465m² large communal loft.
- under floor heating
- concrete floors
- wifi, and utilities
- access to basic tools
- approximately twelve international artists per round
- shared use of tea kitchen
- moveable walls that convert into exhibition space with areas of up to 150m²
- studio, gallery and off-space visits and museum tours
- artist presentations
- Friday potluck lunch
- selected artists participate in our events & exhibitions:
- preview exhibition / extended open studio:
- final exhibition
- individual consultations by agreement with curatorial advice and critique
- assistance with visa processes, funding / scholarship applications, artistic / theoretical / logistical questions, practical questions considering daily life by agreement
- curation, event & exhibition organisation for the final exhibition
- web-, graphic-, & advertising / press design, its production & release for the project (including roundmails to up to 1400 subsribers, posts to up to 4000 facebook followers, instagram more than 1500 followers and growing)
- documentation of the project
- ‘Welcome to Leipzig’ letter & guide
- general administration, organization & coordination of the project
- some of these services are done in home office when the team is not present in the studio
- participation fee: 1800 EUR* / 3 months per artist, total costs after stipend in kind. this also which includes the
- prior payment of 450 EUR per artist required to hold their place on the program. this payment is only refundable by cancellation in writing 3 months before the start date of the residency. otherwise it goes towards the total fee)
- the fee covers the studio & the participation cost
- travel costs, art materials & living accommodation are additional
- we offer two shared joint-studio options per round. two artists may share a single studio space, as outlined above.
- full costs / participation fee: 2800 EUR** / 3 months, per shared studio including a
- prior payment of 700 EUR per artist required to hold the place on the program. this payment is only refundable by cancellation 3 months before the start date of the residency. otherwise it goes towards the total fee)
The artist is responsible for the costs of the participation, as well as insurance, transport and travel expenses. Each accepted artist is offered a partial stipend, provided by ‘PILOTENKUECHE’, which directly subsidizes the full program fee. Normally the artist will look for an additional grant in his/her country to finance all the costs. If you’re looking for funding, please download our funding guide.
*The fee includes the partial-stipend of 1400 EUR from “PILOTENKUECHE”, which directly subsidizes the full program fee of 3200 EUR.
**The fee includes the partial-stipend in kind of 2800 EUR from “PILOTENKUECHE”, which directly subsidizes the full program fee of 6400 EUR – as well as an additional 800 EUR deduction.
STIPEND IN KIND
Though it is common to work countless unpaid hours in the art world, we believe this should not be an expectation. In an effort to attach a value to artists’ time, PK has created this partial stipend in kind which directly subsidizes the full three month program fee. This action reflects our belief that artists should support artists and represents our unpaid working time.
Living accomodation is additional. The project offers one shared apartment which hosts two artists:
- we offer one place in a 60m² shared ground floor apartment for two artists near the studio at Demmeringstr. 68, 04177 Leipzig
- 2x furnished rooms, each with bed, shelves, desk & chair; communal kitchen & bathroom with basic inventory
- wifi and utilities
- total costs: 1400,00 EUR / 3 months, per artist including a
- prior payment of 350,00 EUR per artist is required to hold the place in the flat, only refundable by cancellation in writing 3 months prior the start of the residency program; otherwise it goes towards the total fee
Other residents find rooms by themselves. The following links will help you find a similar room to live in Leipzig:
The closest districts to the studio space are: Leutzsch, Lindenau, Plagwitz, Zentrum. However, Leipzig is not that big and easily accessible by public transport or bike. Please contact us for any questions with, during or after your application – we love to help!
- Meet curatorial deadlines
- Be open for exchange
- Attend as many program days as possible
Who can apply?
Artists from all artistic disciplines (installation, video art, sculpture, electronic music, painting, drawing, performance, photography, net art etc.) are invited to send us an application.
How to apply?
Plans for residency 500 words or less PDF
please name file:
last name, first name PLANS
CV/Portfolio max 10 images PDF
please name file:
last name, first name CV/PORT
link to IRP online application form
We offer the following residency periods per year:
- January – March
- April – June
- July – September
- October – December
Artists are responsible for their own funding.
www.transartist.org and their information about residencies and funding
www.resartis.org and their information about residencies and funding
www.artistcommunities.org and their information about funding
mobility funding guides
culture funding watch
Exhibitions (New Space from 2017)
Exhibitions (Partner spaces)
Visits & Activities