The project “PILOTENKUECHE” invites selected artists within the “International Residency Program” from around the world to come and work in the 465m² communally used, fully remodeled space for a period of three months, with 24 hour studio access. The goal is to provide artists with a base to work from, and acts as a conduit to the local art scene. Our concept strives to create a communal space for experimental collaboration and discourse between participants, as well as with the greater Leipzig community.
Each accepted artist is offered a partial stipend, provided by “PILOTENKUECHE”. We also maintain engagements with several partners, and by introducing our artists to these, make it possible for participants to cooperate with and exhibit in other venues. In addition, the artists receive all documentation necessary to apply for funding and the visa processes. If required, the project assists with additional individual reference letters.
During the programmed events the studio becomes our exhibition space. Our program is a multifaceted. In participating in our residency, each artist participates in external studio visits, exhibition spaces, exhibits and gallery tours. The artist also has the chance to take part in an artist talk, which further clarifies their position, a preview exhibition or open studio event presenting initial work, which takes place mid-way through the residency, as well as scheduled consultations and critiques, culminating in a final group exhibition. The primary languages in use are English and German.
The program is regularly looking for artists. We accept applications at any time.
WHAT WE PROVIDE
Our “International Residence Program” fuses the use of studio space with programmed external activities. With this framework in mind, we intend for the two areas to become indivisible. These components are meant to reinforce one another, and to elicit an engaged response in a stimulating environment.
- one furnished up to 36m² large space (chair, table, provided tools) per artist in our 465m² large communal loft hall including wifi and all side costs (water, heating, energy, kitchen, toilet etc.)
- approximately twelve artists per round working in the space
- shared use tea kitchen
- costs / participation fee: 1800,00* / 3 months, per artist including a
- basic fee: 450 EUR per artist to hold the place in the program, not refundable, only refundable by cancellation prior the program (3 months before the residency starts; otherwise it turns into the total fee)
- the fee covers the studio & the participation cost
- travel costs, art materials & living accommodation are additional
- we offer one shared, joint-studio option for art duets. Two artists may share a single studio space, as outlined above.
- costs / participation fee: 2800,00 EUR** / 3 months, per art duet including a
- basic fee: 700 EUR per artist to hold the place in the program, not refundable, only refundable by cancellation prior the program (3 months before the residency starts; otherwise in turns into the total fee)
The artist must take responsibility to pay individually for the costs of the studio prices and insurance, transport and travel expenses. Each accepted artist is offered a partial stipend, provided by ‘PILOTENKUECHE’, which directly subsidizes the full program fee. Normally the artist will look for an additional grant in his/her country to finance all the costs. If you’re looking for funding, please download our “funding guide” which you can find in the Download section.
*The fee includes the partial-stipend of 1400,00 EUR from “PILOTENKUECHE”, which directly subsidizes the full program fee of 3200,00 EUR.
**The fee includes the partial-stipend of 2800,00 EUR from “PILOTENKUECHE”, which directly subsidizes the full program fee of 6400,00 EUR – as well as an additional 800,00 EUR deduction.
WHAT IS THIS STIPEND?
The partial stipend is covered and financed by the project and directly subsidizes the full three month program fee. The remaining costs need to be paid by the artist. The stipend reflects our belief that artists should support artists and applies to the “International Residence Program” only. How does it work? We work many more hours than we are paid for. The stipend represents our unpaid working time.
- studio & gallery visits and museum tours
- selected artists participate in our events & exhibitions:
- artist talks event: each artist of the project talks about his/her position
- preview exhibtion / extended open studio: the artists present their first works in a small group show / open studio
- final exhibition: final group show
- disciplines: activism, architecture, conceptual, design, digital, drawing, film, installation, intervention, mixed media, technology, intermedia, literature, painting, performance, photography, printmaking, sculpture, sound, video or other disciplines of arts
- language: English / German
- up to 36m² big working places equipped with a nice table, chair, lamp and working desks
- moveable walls to change the space and to create up to around 150m² big spaces
- newly designed windows
- fast internet connection & wifi
- ground heating
- new, oil-covered concrete ground
- shower in a closed area
- provided tools (on request): remote drill, hammer drill, levels, hammers, screwdriver, analogue projector, electric saws, welding machine, grinder etc.
- individual consultations by agreement with curatorial advice and critique
- assistance with visa processes, funding / scholarship applications, artistic / theoretical / logistical questions, practical questions considering daily life by agreement
- curation, event & exhibition organisation for the final exhibition
- web-, graphic-, & advertising / press design, its production & release for the project (including roundmails to up to 1000 subsribers, posts to up to 3000 facebook followers)
- documentation of the project
- ‘Welcome to Leipzig’ letter & guide
- general administration, organization & coordination of the project
- some of these services are done in home office if the team is not present in the studio
A large artist supply shop called ‘boesner’ is 3km far away from the space where you can find everthing for your work. You also can find a construction market called “toom”. For special requests we can assist with our local experience & knowlegde.
Living accomodation is additional. The project offers one shared apartment which hosts two artists:
- we offer one place in a 60m² large shared apartment for two artists close to the studio at Demmeringstr. 68, 04177 Leipzig, ground floor
- 1x fitted kitchen, 1x bathroom
- 2x furnished rooms with a bed, shelve, desk & chair each room; communal used kitchen & bathroom with basic inventory
- with wifi
- costs: 1400,00 EUR / 3 months, per artist including a
- basic fee: 350,00 EUR / per artist to hold the place in the program, not refundable, only refundable by cancellation prior the program (3 months before the residency starts; otherwise it turns into the total fee)
Other residents find rooms by themselves. The following links will help to find a similar room to live in Leipzig:
- das schwarze brett
- air bnb
- people who need rooms and people who have rooms (facebook group)
The districts which are close or related to the studio space are: Leutzsch, Lindenau, Plagwitz, Zentrum. Please contact us for any questions with, during or after your application – we love to help!
Exhibitions (New Space from 2017)
Exhibitions (Partner spaces)
Visits & Activities
EXPECTATIONS TO THE ARTISTS
Participating artists are expected to participate with the overall program objectives, to contribute to a collective enterprise, and be open to work with others. In exchange for the partial stipend, artists are expected to leave a donation of one or two art works.
Who can apply?
Artists from all artistic disciplines (installation, video art, sculpture, electronic music, painting, drawing, performance, photography, net art etc.) are invited to send us an application.
How to apply?
Please send us an E-mail. The application should include:
- a short CV
- an artist statement
- representative number of examples of your work and (if existing) a link to your website
- Application Form
We offer the following residency periods per year:
- January – March
- April – June
- July – September
- October – December
- Round Oct. – Dec. 2019: 30.12.18
- Round Jan. – March 2020: 30.03.19
- Round April – June 2020: 30.06.19
- Round July – Sept. 2020: 30.09.19
You can apply at any time. Send us a mail to email@example.com by submitting all required information.
Please read our “Application Guide” to read more details and get an overview of the provided information.
www.transartist.org and their information about residencies and funding
www.resartis.org and their information about residencies and funding
www.artistcommunities.org and their information about funding
mobility funding guides
culture funding watch